IFA 2019: HandsOn with the Samsung Galaxy Book S

The Samsung Galaxy Book S will be the first device with the Snapdragon CPU 8cx, which you can buy in Germany. It is expected to come on the market in October. At the IFA, I had the opportunity to spend a little time with the device and get my own first impression of it.

Galaxy Book

It should surprise most readers that we are dealing here with real premium hardware. The aluminum case of the Galaxy Book S has an excellent grip, with a thickness of 11.8 mm and a weight of 960 grams, it simply looks super-chic. No surprise even with the display: It is excellent, as one is used to from Samsung.

With Windows on ARM, laptops should feel more like smartphones in the future, even before they are switched on: At the bottom of the device there is an extendable holder for NanoSIM and microSD memory cards, just as you would expect from a smartphone.

There will be two color options that I could watch both: Earthy Gold and Mercury Gray. Since you can not argue about taste, decide for yourself what you like better.

The Galaxy Book S will support Windows Hello by fingerprint, the corresponding sensor is housed in the power button. So you are already authenticated at power on and start directly into the desktop.

A special focus for me is of course on the keyboard, so that stands and falls with me every device. Exactly for this reason I will make on the basis of a few tapping attempts no judgment, the first contact was in any case promising. Due to the design of the key stroke is stressed short, but I think that I'll get used to it. A key illumination is available.

Incidentally, charging is also quite smartphonelike, this is the power supply of the Galaxy Book S and of course, Qualcomm Quick Charge is supported. The battery life is Samsung with up to 23 hours, in practice this will certainly be less, but we come in regions where the term is virtually irrelevant. Loading is when it suits.

Of course the most important questions are: How fast is the Galaxy Book S with the Snapdragon 8cx, and how does it look with the compatibility? Of course, both questions can not be answered after a short HandsOn. I do not give anything on synthetic benchmarks, for me only the practice counts. The first hardware impressions have convinced me and for me it is clear: The Samsung Galaxy Book S will be my first Windows on ARM laptop. Then I can tell you if it should be your first.

Samsung Galaxy Book S - technical data


  • 13.3-inch FullHD multi-touch display
  • Qualcomm Snapdragon 8cx
  • 8 GB RAM
  • 256GB SSD
  • AKG Sound
  • Gigabit LTE (NanoSIM)
  • microSD Slot
  • 2 x USB-C
  • 3,5 mm Audio Port
  • Windows Hello (Fingerprint)
  • Weight: about 960 grams

Komentar

Lebih baru Lebih lama